- It has been found that drinking milk while eating garlic is good for neutralizing garlic breath. The fat and water content in the milk has been found to soak up the allyl methyl sulfide (AMS) gas that dissolves in the blood stream and eventually causes garlic breath.
- Drinking water while eating or after eating garlic goes a long way in reducing bad breath caused by garlic. The water dilutes the blood and as such this reduces the concentration or potency of the AMS gas which in turn eliminates garlic breath.
- Foods high in phenolic acid are well known garlic odor reducers. These foods include: basil, apples, spinach and parsley. Parsley has been used since ancient times as a breath odor reducer and it has been found that the polyphenols it contains are responsible for reducing odors. Other foods rich in polyphenols such as the previously mentioned are also good breath odor reducers. The polyphenols act like antioxidants and oxidize or break down the sulfur compounds in the garlic, this inhibits the release of the AMS gas and eliminates garlic breath.
- Squeezing a freshly cut lemon or lime wedge into the mouth after eating garlic goes a long way in reducing garlic breath.
- If you eat out and eat meals containing garlic a lot it is advisable that you carry a travel sized toothbrush and toothpaste with you to brush your teeth. If you cannot do so then just carry mints or gum with you, gum especially minty flavors helps tremendously with getting rid of garlic breath.
- Good oral hygiene trumps all the other garlic breath reducing methods. If you brush twice daily and floss at least once per day then eating will give an odor but it will not be as pronounced as with those who do not follow this regimen. You will still need to employ one of the above methods to help with eliminating your garlic breath.
From your first visit to the completion of your treatment, at Drews Dental we treat your mouth like it’s our own. With an office in Lewiston that enables us to service Auburn as well, you’ll be sure to receive high quality dental care no matter where you live. Through cosmetic dentistry we are able to open doors and provide smiles that people aren’t afraid to show. Check out our photo gallery and see real patients whose smiles have been transformed.
At Drews Dental we only use the most up-to-date modern cosmetic dentistry tools. The appearance of your teeth, face, and smile mean the world to us that’s why every single patient is treated and evaluated differently; to fit their personal needs. We want you to be impressed when you enter our office and know you will be when your treatment is complete. We have many satisfied clients in both Auburn and Lewiston.